The selection of patients will reveal the student’s abilities to manage patients in a variety of practice education situations. Consider the following when selecting patients for the students:
- Understand and know the clinical objectives and CNPP Practice Education Performance Indicators for the clinical placement.
- Allow the student to gain confidence before assigning complex patients.
- Begin with a reduced workload so the student can manage and then quickly increase caseload as they integrate knowledge and gain confidence.
- Gradually introduce new patients and experiences.
- Observe how the student manages assigned patient presentations.
- Consider selecting patients outside of the current caseload to meet the students’ clinical expectations.